BATS LANDCOVER VALUES

Linda Bath (bath@isis.cgd.ucar.edu)
Tue, 28 Feb 95 11:12:22 MST

From: bath@isis.cgd.ucar.edu (Linda Bath)
Subject: BATS LANDCOVER VALUES
To: ccm-users@ncar.ucar.edu
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 95 11:12:22 MST

Jeremy Dunn asks:

>>In CCM2 I would be interested to know of the BATS landcover types used when
>>the BATS option is on . Or where I can look at these values myself.
>>How many landcover types for the global model are there ? and what are their
>>values

The BATS vegetation, soil texture and soil color input datasets are in binary
form on the Cray, in /ccm/ccm2.1/T42/bats, and can be read using
the code in subroutine batsini (/ccm/ccm2.1/bats/src/batsini.F). In order
to correlate the values in these datasets to surface types, you need the NCAR
Tech Note "Biosphere-Atmosphere Transfer Scheme (BATS) Version 1e as Coupled
to the NCAR Community Climate Model, NCAR/TN-387+STR, by Dickinson,
Henderson-Sellers and Kennedy. You can get a copy through Stephanie Shearer
at NCAR, (303) 497-1624.

Linda Bath