reading CCM1 SST tapes

Dena E. Hyman (DEH@brownvm.brown.edu)
Mon, 12 Sep 94 11:14:50 EDT

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 94 11:14:50 EDT
From: "Dena E. Hyman" <DEH@brownvm.brown.edu>
Subject: reading CCM1 SST tapes
To: ccm-users@ncar.ucar.edu

Hello,

I have written a c program that runs on shavano. It reads in a CCM1 SST
dataset and writes the values out for all 12 months in column form. My
knowledge of the CCM1 SST tape is based on the description in the UNICOS
User's Guide to CCM1. My program has worked successfully on one non-standard
SST tape I have attempted to read.

The problem I am having is that the program does not work properly on the
standard CCM1 control SST dataset: either /ccm/ccm1/r15/sst or
/CSM/CCM1/%DATA%/SSTR15. The month headers are not being read in and
some of the values appear as long strings of 0's. Areas that are land
in several months (indicated by 240) become non-land in other months of
the year - which of course is not possible.

Does anyone know if there is something unusual about the standard sst dataset
that could be causing this problem. Does it deviate from the description in
the User's Guide in some important manner?

Dena E. Hyman
e-mail: deh@brownvm.brown.edu
If attaching files use: deh@climate.geo.brown.edu
phone: (401)863-3647