Re: reading CCM1 SST tapes

CCM Processor (ccmproc2@neit.cgd.ucar.edu)
Mon, 12 Sep 94 10:18:53 MDT

From: ccmproc2@neit.cgd.ucar.edu (CCM Processor)
Subject: Re: reading CCM1 SST tapes
To: DEH@brownvm.brown.edu (Dena E. Hyman)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 94 10:18:53 MDT

Dena writes....
>I have written a c program that runs on shavano. It reads in a CCM1 SST
>dataset and writes the values out for all 12 months in column form. My
>knowledge of the CCM1 SST tape is based on the description in the UNICOS
>User's Guide to CCM1. My program has worked successfully on one non-standard
>SST tape I have attempted to read.
>
>The problem I am having is that the program does not work properly on the
>standard CCM1 control SST dataset: either /ccm/ccm1/r15/sst or
>/CSM/CCM1/%DATA%/SSTR15. The month headers are not being read in and
>some of the values appear as long strings of 0's. Areas that are land
>in several months (indicated by 240) become non-land in other months of
>the year - which of course is not possible.

There is a sample FORTRAN code which reads CCM1 SST datasets available
on the Processor Gopher site.

The code, called rdsst.ccm1.sh, reads and plots the 12 months of data in
/ccm/ccm1/r15/sst.

The relevant portion of the rdsst.ccm1.sh code is:

parameter (lon=48,lat=40) ! R15
real sst(lon+1,lat)
character*8 title

call assign ("assign -a /ccm/ccm1/r15/sst fort.11")

do month=1,12
read (11,err=997,end=998) title,((sst(i,j),i=1,lon),j=lat,1,-1)
enddo

This is in agreement with the description of the SST dataset in TN-286.
The extra longitude, lon+1, for the array sst, is defined to make space
for a wraparound point for the plotting calls. The actual input array
corresponds to a (48,40) dimension.

You can get a copy of rdsst.ccm1.sh via gopher from:

.../North America/USA/Colorado/NCAR/NCAR-UCAR Divisions and Groups/CGD
/Processor/Sample Processor Codes/Unsupported Tools/3. rdsst.ccm1.sh

or:

Type=1
Name=3. rdsst.ccm1.sh: Read a CCM1 SST initial data tape.Processor
Path=0/processor/samples/unsupported/rdsst.ccm1.sh
Host=isis.cgd.ucar.edu
Port=70

or via mosaic in the directory:

gopher://isis.cgd.ucar.edu/11/processor/samples/unsupported

--

This is a list of the other unsupported tools in that directory:

Miscellaneous FORTRAN codes to run on the Cray at NCAR. 1. chgheader.sh: Modify history tape header information. 2. rdlsd.sh: Create, then read data from a LSD save tape. 3. rdsst.ccm1.sh: Read a CCM1 SST initial data tape. 4. rdalb.ccm1.sh: Read the CCM1 R15 albedo initial data tape. 5. rdhst.ccm2.sh: Read/unpack/plot data from a CCM2 history tape. 6. sfctcrt.sh: Create a T42 Surface Type Save Tape. Moving your data from the Cray to non-Cray machines (README). 1. mkhsl.sh: Extract selected fields to a HSL tape on the Cray. 2. cr2ieee.sh: Translate the HSL data from Cray binary to IEEE format. 3. rdhsl.sh: Read the IEEE format HSL tape on a workstation. Reading a CCM history tape (UNPACKED) on a non-Cray machine. 1. hist2ieee.sh: Translate an unpacked history tape to IEEE format. 2. rdhist.ieee.sh: Test read the IEEE format history tape on a workstation. Miscellaneous EMACS Processor tools. 1. EMACS Processor abbreviations. 2. EMACS Processor tools.

--
                                     Lawrence Buja
                                     ccmproc2@ncar.ucar.edu